TALKING EVIL WITH ALEX TSAKIRIS -- GORDON WHITE -- RUNE SOUP

It's from "Proceedings of the American Society for Psychical Research " III, 1909, p. 586
please let me pose a question to the entire forum.

what do you suppose has changed between now and then? do you think william james was just an unwitting cog in a large machine that he didn't see or understand, or was the science conspiracy different back then? a lotta cultural stuff was different 100 yrs ago, but I wonder how it plays into his point. I mean, it kind of makes it even more significant... before world war II, before world war 1, william james calling out his colleagues for not being able to look at evil.

Urgent request to tomz: In your book I found a quote which is vital to my own work, but for which I can't find the source in Wm James:

The refusal of modern “enlightenment” to treat “possession” as a hypothesis to be spoken of as even possible, in spite of the massive human tradition based on concrete experience in its favour, has always seemed to me a curious example of fashion in things scientific. That the demon theory (not necessarily a devil-theory) will have its innings again is to my mind absolutely certain. One has to be “scientific” indeed to be blind and ignorant enough to suspect no such possibility.—William James

In your book it opens Chapter 4. Do you still have the citation? I have spent hours looking for it including Google Scholar. Deepest thanks.

I cannot find the original source at the moment. I found it also quoted at this site: https://www.encyclopedia.com/scienc...transcripts-and-maps/obsession-and-possession.

I get the concept... but that means that in your branch of reality the other person is not getting what they want, and in their branch your alter is not getting what you want, so the only authentic person with agency in each branch is the self... the rest are doing what they're told... reading a script... like a non-player character (NPC). Another interpretation of this is that everything that can happen does, and the branch you find yourself on is pure chance in which case your feeling that you willed yourself onto this branch is in fact an illusion and you have no free choice.
I suppose in a sense I am gunning for your first alternative, but I'd put it a little differently. Everything I read here, suggests to me that we are somehow more complex than we normally think of ourselves - there is talk of higher selves, over souls, guardian angels, etc etc. Tom Zinser proposes even more of these components of consciousness. Also, there seems to be some analogy with QM, where different strands of reality exist, and the relevant wave functions interfere to produce the reality we observe.

David

I do not consider the study of evil a danger in and of itself when such study and research are done in the service to the Light and to other souls. So much here depends on intent. This is, in effect, shedding Light on the darkest of soul activities. The more we understand how souls, incarnate or discarnate, become entangled in darkness with its promise of power and control, the better we know what we're dealing with. I think of FBI profilers who study serial killers. In the same way, I don't think they are in danger.

I do believe some people can be triggered by focusing on evil if they have a past life involvement either as a perpetrator or a victim. This is especially true if there is a series of lifetimes involved. If a person experienced evil in childhood, they might also be triggered when they come close to that kind of energy again later, especially if they start to focus on it. These are a few thoughts.

I cannot find the original source at the moment. I found it also quoted at this site: https://www.encyclopedia.com/scienc...transcripts-and-maps/obsession-and-possession.

Deepest thanks, Tom. Chris 7 gave us the original source: "Proceedings of the American Society for Psychical Research " III, 1909, p. 586 . And the link you gave explained how James came to believe in obsession. In addition to giving me a new research venue, encyclopedia.com. I am floating!

I would like to give the most reputable and scholarly source for afterlife studies: victorzammit.com. I am active in his FB group: AREI* Discussion. Cyrus Kirkpatrick is great in many ways but I get much more from Victor and Wendy Zammit and from Jurgen Zeiwe. (That is probably a generational gap phenomenon--my riding instructor used to say proficiency is a matter of how long one has been under saddle.)

AREI=AFTERLIFE RESEARCH AND EDUCATION INSTITUTE

I just put some of the quote in Google, which lead me to a picture of the quote from a book which had the citation at the bottom. :)
I had tried that but met a dead end. Today I put the source in Goole search and it led me to that book as a free download! Then I found James' quote and its context in the book.:D

Deepest thanks, Tom. Chris 7 gave us the original source: "Proceedings of the American Society for Psychical Research " III, 1909, p. 586 . And the link you gave explained how James came to believe in obsession. In addition to giving me a new research venue, encyclopedia.com. I am floating!

I would like to give the most reputable and scholarly source for afterlife studies: victorzammit.com. I am active in his FB group: AREI* Discussion. Cyrus Kirkpatrick is great in many ways but I get much more from Victor and Wendy Zammit and from Jurgen Zeiwe. (That is probably a generational gap phenomenon--my riding instructor used to say proficiency is a matter of how long one has been under saddle.)

I forgot about Victor Zammit! Thanks

I do not consider the study of evil a danger in and of itself when such study and research are done in the service to the Light and to other souls. So much here depends on intent. This is, in effect, shedding Light on the darkest of soul activities. The more we understand how souls, incarnate or discarnate, become entangled in darkness with its promise of power and control, the better we know what we're dealing with. I think of FBI profilers who study serial killers. In the same way, I don't think they are in danger.

I do believe some people can be triggered by focusing on evil if they have a past life involvement either as a perpetrator or a victim. This is especially true if there is a series of lifetimes involved. If a person experienced evil in childhood, they might also be triggered when they come close to that kind of energy again later, especially if they start to focus on it. These are a few thoughts.

What you say here is pure gospel, Tom. My own approach is based on the idea of a Bodhisattva--not in the enlightened soul sense but in the been there, done that (SRA victim), wounded healer sense. Some of us have to take this on--skinning a 4 year old alive is NOT OK. I honor you for your intrepid work, Tom. And Alex and this forum for their courage.

P.S. I do not bring up the Bodhisattva concept to brag, but rather b/c I came in with no memory of past life SRA and still do not have it. Nor do I remember much about it when it happened again when I was a toddler in this life. So despite massive healing efforts and success since my memories surfaced (spontaneously) 25 years ago, I can go into inner child fear in a nanosecond, and then I have to remind myself (and my inner kids) that I did experience and heal ritual abuse in past lives and have simply forgotten that--for a good reason: I have been more authentic as a healer of animals and children and adults b/c I can identify and empathize with their trauma b/c I have experienced and to a great extent healed it myself. And more authentic now as a researcher and writer.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's from "Proceedings of the American Society for Psychical Research " III, 1909, p. 586

Here's the book (in PDF format) and the link is set at page 600 which opens precisely to page 586 of the actual book. It appears this book is fascinating.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b4147517&view=1up&seq=600

If anyone wants to have their mind blown - read starting at page 591 of the actual book... wait until you read what this book states was the views about materialism, idealism and spiritualism. Truly mind blowing what this book puts forth as "the thinking" about specifically idealism in relation to materialism.

Last edited:

Thank you for this additional information. You once posted one of Jurgen Zeiwe's Afterlife Answers videos, I think it was #16. I downloaded his entire series... somehow got distracted so thanks again from bringing my attention back to his series and I have made it my goal to go through the series by end of day Tuesday.

Here's the book (in PDF format) and the link is set at page 600 which opens precisely to page 586 of the actual book. It appears this book is fascinating.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b4147517&view=1up&seq=600

If anyone wants to have their mind blown - read starting at page 591 of the actual book... wait until you read what this book states was the views about materialism, idealism and spiritualism. Truly mind blowing what this book puts forth as "the thinking" about specifically idealism in relation to materialism.

You DOUBLE rock. I in fact had found this and read parts of it w/o ever seeing James' quote on page 586. Now I get to read its full context! WOW.

great. And I think this fits nicely with what I heard you say previously regarding the power of our personal consciousness.

I think it also fits nicely with my understanding of the moral imperative... right and wrong... god & light... i.e. if we seek to expand love and light nothing too bad is gonna happen. in my mind it also fits with the non-do-er stuff that we get from the eastern traditions. I have an interview coming up with charlie morley that I think is relevant to these points... particularly the part that was in response to the clip I played from our interview :)

Back