The Donald Trump Thread

I'm honestly starting to feel like Trump just is of a very average intelligence. He may have a high social intelligence, but his analytical intelligence appears to be very average. And his emotional intelligence is likely nil.

Oh god, imagine describing anybody's emotional intelligence as 'nil'... I mean honestly, try writing a bit more realistically?

Don't be so silly... that's the electoral college, and only a nerd would say it wasn't a sea of red...

county-level-results-2016-election.png
He didn't say it was a sea of red. He said it was the biggest win since Reagan, which is factually false. Don't be so silly.

And a nerd? Really? Perhaps it's time to grow up, Max.

Trump is not getting impeached.

At least not based on anything that has come out so far. I also doubt there is going to be any evidence that is substantial enough to remove him from office before 2020. Even then I'm not convinced Trump will lose, we're too far out from then.
To your point (kinda), Sci. David Brooks: Trump's admin is a fail but likely is here to stay...
I still have trouble seeing how the Trump administration survives a full term. Judging by his Thursday press conference, President Trump’s mental state is like a train that long ago left freewheeling and iconoclastic, has raced through indulgent, chaotic and unnerving, and is now careening past unhinged, unmoored and unglued.

Trump’s White House staff is at war with itself. His poll ratings are falling at unprecedented speed. His policy agenda is stalled. F.B.I. investigations are just beginning. This does not feel like a sustainable operation.

On the other hand, I have trouble seeing exactly how this administration ends. Many of the institutions that would normally ease out or remove a failing president no longer exist.

There are no longer moral arbiters in Congress like Howard Baker and Sam Ervin to lead a resignation or impeachment process. There is no longer a single media establishment that shapes how the country sees the president. This is no longer a country in which everybody experiences the same reality.

Everything about Trump that appalls 65 percent of America strengthens him with the other 35 percent, and he can ride that group for a while. Even after these horrible four weeks, Republicans on Capitol Hill are not close to abandoning their man.

The likelihood is this: We’re going to have an administration that has morally and politically collapsed, without actually going away.

What does that look like? (...)

He just says shit (as the saying goes). I find it pretty pathetic and it sure don't fly in my life (personal, professional).

I just keep buying new bags of popcorn so I have something to snack on when the movie reel turns.

Oh yeah, this admin is comedy gold.

It's like Veep and Thick of It had a new political love-child.

But they are trying to create the narrative that he's such a disastrous danger to national security - essentially a Russian agent - that the CIA would be justified in taking him out.

He's not getting assassinated by the CIA either. I think most actors that want Trump removed and could actually carry it out will just wait until 2020. The man is already losing to a "general Democrat" in the polls.

I watched Trump's rally yesterday and when he invited a supporter from the crowd to come up on stage it made me think about what I would like someone to say to the TV cameras. I wished that Trump would do more to help unite the country. I am not very fond of the media and I have mixed feelings about the way he attacks them. I think someone should call them out, but the way he does it keeps the anger and hate circulating. Anyway this is what I wish someone would say to the TV cameras at a rally. It fits in with Trump's theme of making America great again:

The people here tonight are a great group of people. You are really great.

I love this country and the people in this country.

We are a great people. We are a great country.

We have the great music, movies, athletes, scientists, workers, entrepreneurs, we have a great economy, a great political system, great defense forces, we have great people.

Many people from all over the world want move here and become citizens.

They believe we are a great country.

We can believe that ourselves - that our country is a great country.

But we can become even better. We can try to reduce the political polarization in this country.

We can understand that people with different views can still be good people.

Here are a couple of examples to show what I mean:

Globalists want to increase immigration to help refugees. Nationalists want to control immigration to keep wages from falling so they can have enough money to feed their children. Both sentiments are okay. We can find a compromise through honest discussion and democratic processes.

Environmentalists want regulations that protect the environment. But workers could benefit from less regulation because that would increase economic growth that would improve working conditions and help them provide for their children. Both sentiments are okay. We can find a compromise through honest discussion and democratic processes.

I could go through every issue that divided us in the last election and show that both sides have legitimate concerns.

We have to come together as a people. We have to solve this problem of political polarization because it is getting worse and worse and it is tearing apart our culture. The news media and the politicians react to public opinion. Politicians want your vote, the news media wants you to watch their programs and read their papers. They are not going to help us change. We have to change ourselves and then they will respond to that change.

There is a sociologist, Jonathan Haidt (H a i d t) who studies political polarization. I hope the news media will look at his work and discuss it on their programs. And I hope everyone else will look up his videos on youtube. Jonathan Haidt (H a i d t), he is a sociologist who studies political polarization.

Thank you.

More info on Haidt here:
http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2016/01/jonathan-haidts-constructive-approach.html

Last edited:
Nice post, Jim. I fear Trump is working from a far less noble playbook that thrives on fear, division and an exaggerated sense of "mess" and "carnage". The point, of course, is to present himself as the solution .... "Don't worry, we're going to fix it."

Condemning the press as the enemy of the people, and claiming all critical news as fake, is the mark of an authoritarian. The swamp will be replaced by a fetid bog.

On the other hand, in the spirit of your post, I have hope that the longstanding reserve of goodwill, resistance to tyranny and the intelligent and articulate commentary I have read in recent days will prevail and indeed be strengthened by the challenge.

If I may be forgiven for my bias (a rather more accurate description than perspective), it seems to me that Trump is not very good at executing a cunning plan to divide and marginalise. He is perhaps a karmic jester: provocative enough to get the crowd squealing in terror and delight, but ultimately a clown who will retire and peel off his bulbous nose and orange paint to leave us strengthened and grateful for the liberty and fraternity we took for granted.

Pence, Mattis and Kelly are reassuring allies about NATO and traditional views against Russia, etc., etc., in opposition to Trump's pronouncements. It's like warring administrations. Crazy times.

Pence, Mattis and Kelly are reassuring allies about NATO and traditional views against Russia, etc., etc., in opposition to Trump's pronouncements. It's like warring administrations. Crazy times.
I live in one of those Allie states (the UK) and I for one don't want NATO. It is an extremely dangerous organisation that lost a role after Communism collapsed, and is now trying to destabilise Eastern Europe - why for Heavens sake, I don't know. We have friends in that part of the world, and they could so easily perish in all this, even if the rest of us escaped.

Repeatedly we are told that Russia invaded Crimea. It didn't, the Crimea wanted out of the new Ukraine, and was in danger of being attacked. Russia offered to take them over if they voted to do so - which they did overwhelmingly!

Trump seems to get this, and I hope he gets a chance to fix things.

David

Could we have a moment of silence for what happened in Sweden last night? This is really the worst terrorist massacre since Bowling Green.

“When you look at what’s happening in Germany, when you look at what’s happening last night in Sweden – Sweden!” he said. “Who would believe this? Sweden! They took in large numbers, they’re having problems like they never thought possible.”

What's untrue about that?

There's 55 declared "no-go zones" in Sweden where Muslim Illegal immigrant thugs have established gang rule.

PJW breaking down the phenomenal spike in violent crime in Sweden:

Sweden immigrants Facebook live the gang rape of Swedish woman:
http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=56156
http://www.infowars.com/sweden-immigrants-arrested-after-gang-raping-woman-on-facebook-live/

Swedish policeman blows whistle on government using "code 291" to hide migrant crimes:
http://speisa.com/modules/articles/index.php/item.3687/the-ball-has-started-rolling.html

60 minutes crew attacked by migrants in Sweden:

“When you look at what’s happening in Germany, when you look at what’s happening last night in Sweden – Sweden!” he said. “Who would believe this? Sweden! They took in large numbers, they’re having problems like they never thought possible.”

The fact that nothing happened "last night in Sweden" . Though, in fairness, what he was probably referring to "happening last night", was his watching a news report about Sweden.

The fact that nothing happened "last night in Sweden" . Though, in fairness, what he was probably referring to "happening last night", was his watching a news report about Sweden.

Well if it was a mistake and nothing especially newsworthy happened last night in Sweden (probably something did happen last night and it just wasn't reported because the government hides it) at least this highlights the childish stupidity of the media: "nananabooboo! Nothing happened last night in Sweden!" And then the public checks it out and... well it's pretty obvious terrible things are going on there all the time thanks to Swedens self-destructive policies.

There's 55 declared "no-go zones" in Sweden where Muslim Illegal immigrant thugs have established gang rule.

PJW breaking down the phenomenal spike in violent crime in Sweden:

Sweden immigrants Facebook live the gang rape of Swedish woman:
http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=56156
http://www.infowars.com/sweden-immigrants-arrested-after-gang-raping-woman-on-facebook-live/

Swedish policeman blows whistle on government using "code 291" to hide migrant crimes:
http://speisa.com/modules/articles/index.php/item.3687/the-ball-has-started-rolling.html

60 minutes crew attacked by migrants in Sweden:
We've been through that, and I started the original, now-locked thread about it. I guess it's too much to ask Trump to speak properly or explain himself better.

Back