The Donald Trump Thread

PS Edit On reading I thought you were agreeing with Roberta, I am sorry about that. He seems to think there are a lot of American Trumpists here.

Oh, maybe you thought Robbie was American when he wrote of DT as not being "our" saviour? Robbie's from the UK though.

I must admit that there are more right-wing/conservative posters than I would have expected when I first came here (e.g. the anti-climate-change position seems to be a typically, if not exclusively, conservative one, and it's prevalent on this forum).

What do you consider right-wing/conservative? I find the climate change debates interesting, though, again, it seems to come more from Brits than Americans. Just an observation. I haven't made up my mind on those debates. I no longer consider myself "left" or "right" as I think it sets up a false dichotomy, though I still tend to vote left, but I sometimes vote Republican, but only in local (city) politics, not national politics.

Well, in the end, are we all not in search of the truth? I don't agree with others' politics, but I think this goes much deeper than that. I hope we get beyond those arguments. That is all. :)

Last edited:
What do you consider right-wing/conservative?

I see it manifest practically (as does the Left) in a collection of policies more so than in a defining principle, which is why I resonate very much with your later comment:

I no longer consider myself "left" or "right" as I think it sets up a false dichotomy, though I still tend to vote left

Nice. This is me too to some extent, although I still tend to lean left, especially economically. But here's an example of what I mean by left/right being, in practice, collections of policies (to which one must adhere in totality to identify with the group): whilst generally leaning left, I am pro-life, whereas pro-choice is the "recognised" "left" position (without wanting to start a debate on abortion). I think many people are in similar positions, feeling forced to conform to the left/right collective when they differ on specific policies. Not sure how much sense I'm making, hopefully it resonates.

I find the climate change debates interesting, though, again, it seems to come more from Brits than Americans. Just an observation.

I don't know about that - do you mean on this forum? I can think off the top of my head of four staunch anti-climate-change advocates on this forum, and half of them (two) are Americans.

Quite excited about today, but don't really understand why. Maybe it's the energy of Trump's inauguration, it'll be on tv here and it is a big worldwide event. I can't remember even being aware of an inauguration before! It has surely energised people, as I see it, the anti-trump people much more than the pro-trump people. So far!

I am still hoping that the Trump phenomena might be 'God's work' for want of a different phrase.

Has there ever been a more divisive figure as President?

Reactions: Red
I see it manifest practically (as does the Left) in a collection of policies more so than in a defining principle, which is why I resonate very much with your later comment:

Nice. This is me too to some extent, although I still tend to lean left, especially economically. But here's an example of what I mean by left/right being, in practice, collections of policies (to which one must adhere in totality to identify with the group): whilst generally leaning left, I am pro-life, whereas pro-choice is the "recognised" "left" position (without wanting to start a debate on abortion). I think many people are in similar positions, feeling forced to conform to the left/right collective when they differ on specific policies. Not sure how much sense I'm making, hopefully it resonates.

I don't know about that - do you mean on this forum? I can think off the top of my head of four staunch anti-climate-change advocates on this forum, and half of them (two) are Americans.

Thanks, Laird. This is what I am talking about. I consider myself "pro-choice" but I still respect your position as "pro-life" and if you argued your position, I would argue back, and keep it civil. You might have seen how I got treated on the trans thread because I have problems with trans ideology, which is another "recognized" "left" position. So, yes, I very much agree with you that we need to debate issues outside of some paradigm of "left" or "right."

Hm, on climate change on Skeptiko, it does seem mainly brits (there are a lot of Brits and Canadians on the forum, which is great), but who besides Hurm? It's been awhile since I read climate-change threads on here, other than that really long one with that guy who was trolling! Unless you mean Alex! :)

Thanks, Laird. This is what I am talking about. I consider myself "pro-choice" but I still respect your position as "pro-life" and if you argued your position, I would argue back, and keep it civil. You might have seen how I got treated on the trans thread because I have problems with trans ideology, which is another "recognized" "left" position. So, yes, I very much agree with you that we need to debate issues outside of some paradigm of "left" or "right."

Hm, on climate change on Skeptiko, it does seem mainly brits (there are a lot of Brits and Canadians on the forum, which is great), but who besides Hurm? It's been awhile since I read climate-change threads on here, other than that really long one with that guy who was trolling! Unless you mean Alex! :)

Yes, I noticed what happened in the trans thread, and didn't want to venture an opinion in that thread because it was heated enough without adding fuel to the fire, but you're right, that's another example of left-right being too restrictive a dichotomy. Likewise I respect your feminist perspective on trans ideology, whether or not we (would end up) agree(ing).

Oh, I think I miscounted re climate change - Hurm is, after all, other than Alex, the only American anti, I had originally counted (in my head) Michael Larkin too, but you're not American, are you, Michael? You're a UK citizen I think?

It's been awhile since I read climate-change threads on here, other than that really long one with that guy who was trolling! Unless you mean Alex! :)

Accusations of 'Trolling' have been thrown around a bit too freely on the forum for my liking. Three times it has been unfair imo and that's just off the top of my head. It reminds me of how 'Russia' is used by the MSM.

Oh, I think I miscounted re climate change - Hurm is, after all, other than Alex, the only American anti, I had originally counted (in my head) Michael Larkin too, but you're not American, are you, Michael? You're a UK citizen I think?

Michael is British. Kick the Brits out - they're trouble makers!

Accusations of 'Trolling' have been thrown around a bit too freely on the forum for my liking.

Yep, I didn't think that that climate change thread was trolled, I think the poster (who had shown himself to be perfectly capable of rational thought and even insight, even in that thread) just got flustered by the opposing views and the way the thread played out, especially seeing that moderation was anti-climate-change, and let his ego run away with him.

Yes, I noticed what happened in the trans thread, and didn't want to venture an opinion in that thread because it was heated enough without adding fuel to the fire, but you're right, that's another example of left-right being too restrictive a dichotomy. Likewise I respect your feminist perspective on trans ideology, whether or not we (would end up) agree(ing).

Thank you.

Accusations of 'Trolling' have been thrown around a bit too freely on the forum for my liking. Three times it has been unfair imo and that's just off the top of my head. It reminds me of how 'Russia' is used by the MSM.

No, I meant a specific thread here that had obvious trolling, from several months ago. I should not have brought it up.

No, I meant a specific thread here that had obvious trolling, from several months ago. I should not have brought it up.

I wasn't having a go at you Doppelgänger, I just wanted to push back a bit. There was a big thread about climate change a few years ago where someone was accused of Trolling when he was in fact a highly qualified physicist. I've noticed it being used when the people with a different viewpoint are getting defensive.

Back