Tim Grimes, 7 Questions For the Voice in Your Head |571|

Secularism has made a lot of gains, but I would say that overall, religion is still the dominant force of social control, and certainly it's been the dominant force in generations past.

That logic is sound if you're a secularist. However if you're not, then you can claim some sort of divine right, which has been used throughout history to trump any argument from mere mortals ( even if those mere mortals are right ).
Fair points. It is a complex issue :)
Differing situations in different countries across the current world too

E.g. Epictetus, Enchiridion 14:
'A man’s master is he who is able to confer or remove whatever that man seeks or shuns. Whoever then would be free, let him wish nothing, let him decline nothing, which depends on others; else he must necessarily be a slave.'

Just to clarify the Stoic position: they define slavery vs freedom as something internal. According to Stoicism, one can literally be an obedient slave to a worldly master, but internally one can be free / not mentally a slave while fulfilling the external wishes of one's master without resistance

What I'm saying is that a ruling class would probably see such a philosophy as beneficial to their class' power

I laughed the hardest when you said I wasn't being honest with myself.
That was in response to you saying,
Jack Ward said:
Nor do I take personally what strangers say about me. After all, no one knows what is going on in my life but me, so why would I accept their judgements?
On some level, we all take what people say about us personally. Just the fact that you laughed proves that it does. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Not acknowledging that we're affected can serve as a useful defense mechanism. It can also help to prevent reactionary and disadvantageous behavior. So I suspect that that the real case is that you're just as human as the rest of us, and that your viewpoint, although illusory, allows you to manage other people's comments about you in a way that minimizes negative outcomes.

Last edited:
Yes, but if one finds oneself enslaved, that is considered one's role / one's destiny, that freedom is to be gained internally, not by freeing oneself externally.

E.g. Epictetus, Enchiridion 14:
'A man’s master is he who is able to confer or remove whatever that man seeks or shuns. Whoever then would be free, let him wish nothing, let him decline nothing, which depends on others; else he must necessarily be a slave.'

See also Enchiridion 15-20

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/45109/45109-h/45109-h.htm

What I read that quote is saying is that if he wishes things and declines things, he might as well be a slave. Not that slavery is what Stoics think is a natural way of the human spirit.

"Show me a man who is not a slave; one is a slave to lust, another to greed, another to ambition, and all men are slaves to fear. … No servitude is more disgraceful than that which is self-imposed. A slavery “self-imposed” was more terrifying to the Stoics than any external social circumstance." Marcus Aurelius

What I read that quote is saying is that if he wishes things and declines things, he might as well be a slave. Not that slavery is what Stoics think is a natural way of the human spirit.

"Show me a man who is not a slave; one is a slave to lust, another to greed, another to ambition, and all men are slaves to fear. … No servitude is more disgraceful than that which is self-imposed. A slavery “self-imposed” was more terrifying to the Stoics than any external social circumstance." Marcus Aurelius

Again, what the Stoics are talking about is inner slavery. They accepted outer servitude, for themselves and for others. E.g. Epictetus had a servant. Aurelius had slaves.
It's not the external circumstance of slavery they were going beyond, but rather not being slave to thoughts

What we're over and over again is the flip flop that comes from Global Warming deniers. It follows the same track:
1. Global Warming doesn't exist.
2. Well Global Warming exists. Just look at other planets.
3. Well Global Warming exists but it's always doing that through history.
4. Well Global Warming exists and this is different but it's not because of the eight billion people on the planet creating record levels of pollutants and mass burn offs of the global forest population.
And on and on...
It does get tedious the number of ways people will avoid the fact that we're living in the Anthropocene.

I don't know of any serious thinker who says point 1. Points 2 & 3 are correct. Point 4 is unclear.

I certainly don't want more power handed over to Rothschild and other bankers in some globalist scheme.

The planet has undergone vast changes in climate in the last 15000 years. Humans survived. But humans probably won't survive if WEF / Yuval Harari types gain control over us

And btw, it's not even a conspiracy. Harari and others in the WEF have explicitly said what they plan to do. Only an evil person or a fool would go along with their agenda

I don't know of any serious thinker who says point 1. Points 2 & 3 are correct. Point 4 is unclear.

I certainly don't want more power handed over to Rothschild and other bankers in some globalist scheme.

I guess I've had more discussions with Global Warming Deniers.

Again, what the Stoics are talking about is inner slavery. They accepted outer servitude, for themselves and for others. E.g. Epictetus had a servant. Aurelius had slaves.
It's not the external circumstance of slavery they were going beyond, but rather not being slave to thoughts

That's not how I read it. I'm not sure any Stoic would accept your reading. But I could be wrong. Take it to the Daily Stoic.

Note to others interested. I have provided evidence backing up what I've written. And I see a pattern of trolling by Jack, so I will no longer communicate with him or others engaged in trolling.

Wim Hof popped up on my youtube this morning and I listened to a short two minute clip where he talked about taking cold showers even in winter. Granted I live in So Cal, so it's only 50F this morning. But I went ahead I took my first ever not-in-summer cold shower. Started at lukewarm and gradually worked down to cold. Weird thing was that it was so gradual that I found myself confused that it wasn't as cold as I thought it should be. And it surely shut off the mind chatter like a switch. Looking forward to more of those!

Back