Tim Grimes, Deep Spirituality and the Law of Attraction |527|

Alex

Administrator
Tim Grimes, Deep Spirituality and the Law of Attraction |527|
by Alex Tsakiris | Nov 16 | Spirituality
Tweet

Tim Grimes believes there’s a deep spirituality to law of attraction principles.
skeptiko-527-tim-grimes-300x300.jpg

Great show Alex! Just got done listening and thanks for introducing me to Tim Grimes' work. Timely as well since I've just recently started checking out Neville Goddard. The info about Napoleon Hill was a bit of stunner as it was a book that my father insisted I read when I was younger, and I sat up in my chair when he mentioned W. Clement Stone because my father used to work for Stone back in the day! He even has a picture with him as my father was a top salesman for his company Combined Insurance. So the law of attraction genre of business motivation and mindset is something that had a big influence on my father and of course myself as well. I'm also a bit conflicted about Osho because I just simply have gotten so much out of his talks and books. There's definitely a part of me that wants to downplay the more cultish aspects of his influence. I thought the documentary Wild Wild Country was excellent but I thought it made it seem that it was more of his high level followers that seemed to get him into more trouble than he was responsible for, no? Again I'm gonna have a biased take I guess but I know John Hogue refutes some of the allegations but anyway. There was so much for me to sit with in this show that I've already sent it out to several of my friends so I can talk about it with them but the notion of our connections to source being both independent and yet subtly (or not) influenced by our experience is probably the most profound.

On an end note here I really appreciate your show and that it's a "free speech place" like Tim said. I think the less "free speech space" we have the more hypnotized by reality we are.

Reactions: Kim
So I had a look at the type of experiment alluded to during the interview.

There's no way I'd conclude from this sort of experiment that telekinesis has anything to do with why the foil on the pins is moving. There are other variables to consider. But for those who "want to believe" that a psychic explanation is the answer, any movement will serve as confirmation of their bias. Let's also not forget that if we simply want to move the foil, we can move it in any number of familiar physical ways that are far more effective, and in the end, these methods don't have any more of an explanation for their existence than telekinesis.

Telekinesis is of course an entirely separate from the type of "attraction" than what we're talking about here with the "Law of Attraction". This "Law" seems so nebulous that it allows for all sorts of goalpost shifting. My perspective on the idea is that it's a psychological phenomenon. In other words, when we think we ought to do something, or that something ought to happen, we orient our behavior in such as way that it has a greater chance of happening or being noticed, and once again, putting in a little effort in the real-world to make it happen seems to be a lot more effective than wishful thinking.

I liked the bit about life being a state of hypnosis, that we really only hypnotize ourselves, maybe w/ somebody's help at the beginning. When I got more & more interested in hypnosis, I decided that SELF hypnosis was the way to go; like working on lucid dreaming, I reliably remember 1 - 2 dreams a night mostly b/c I always tell myself sometime in the evening, "I want to remember dreams tonite." It also helps a lot to write them down consistently, too.
Tim made a good point about wishing he had been more rational when he was younger; so who would work 40-50 hrs a week @ something they hated unless they had to feed themselves somehow? I read a small piece on CNN that there's a growing segment of Chinese youth who are adopting the philosophy of 'lying down.' This is a reaction to all the intense competition for good jobs over there, so many are just falling back from the rat race.
I really loved the falling in the well analogy, but what do you do when you get tired of being wet?
Accepting everyday life as a miracle is a great idea. I stumbled onto this greasy haired, bearded yahoo who's a teacher w/ this bunch of Vedic scripture/Krishna worshippers in Dallas, TX of all places. He told this story of a man who buys this dog & takes it to the park to play catch. There's a pond near where they're playing & the ball lands in the drink. The dog walks ON THE WATER, sticks his head in, gets the ball & comes slobbering back to his new owner, who's flabbergasted. So he throws the ball into the pond over & over but the dog does the same thing each time. So, the man calls up his friend & tells him that he has this dog now; does he want to come play w/ the dog or whatever. The friend isn't busy so he comes out to the park & the dog-owner plays it cool for a while & then chunks the ball into the drink again. He makes sure his friend sees the unique way the dog retrieves the ball & when he gets the ball yet again, he asks the friend, " What do you think about that?" His friend says, "I don't think your dog knows how to swim."
So this orange garbed teacher says that all too often, we want our miracles the way WE want them, not the way we get them.

Great show and thanks for introducing Tim to my world. Definitely feel when I get out of my own way and don't employ negative inner talk things happen for the positive. The Power of Your Subconscious Mind was the first book that started me on my spiritual journey 35 years ago when I was 19 breaking away from a cult. I still have the book.

Yes try Telegram or Discord.

Great show Alex! Just got done listening and thanks for introducing me to Tim Grimes' work. Timely as well since I've just recently started checking out Neville Goddard. The info about Napoleon Hill was a bit of stunner as it was a book that my father insisted I read when I was younger, and I sat up in my chair when he mentioned W. Clement Stone because my father used to work for Stone back in the day! He even has a picture with him as my father was a top salesman for his company Combined Insurance. So the law of attraction genre of business motivation and mindset is something that had a big influence on my father and of course myself as well. I'm also a bit conflicted about Osho because I just simply have gotten so much out of his talks and books. There's definitely a part of me that wants to downplay the more cultish aspects of his influence. I thought the documentary Wild Wild Country was excellent but I thought it made it seem that it was more of his high level followers that seemed to get him into more trouble than he was responsible for, no? Again I'm gonna have a biased take I guess but I know John Hogue refutes some of the allegations but anyway. There was so much for me to sit with in this show that I've already sent it out to several of my friends so I can talk about it with them but the notion of our connections to source being both independent and yet subtly (or not) influenced by our experience is probably the most profound.

On an end note here I really appreciate your show and that it's a "free speech place" like Tim said. I think the less "free speech space" we have the more hypnotized by reality we are.
wow... thx CD!

yeah, it's really great talking to a deep thinker like Tim. I like how you put this :)
"the notion of our connections to source being both independent and yet subtly (or not) influenced by our experience"

Great show and thanks for introducing Tim to my world. Definitely feel when I get out of my own way and don't employ negative inner talk things happen for the positive. The Power of Your Subconscious Mind was the first book that started me on my spiritual journey 35 years ago when I was 19 breaking away from a cult. I still have the book.

Yes try Telegram or Discord.
great. thx.

Lot of people are suggesting telegram. I like what I see so far.

great. thx.

Lot of people are suggesting telegram. I like what I see so far.
If it's not risking bringing up many painful memories, I'd like to hear how you dealt w/ your cult entanglement. I'm more & more convinced that tRump & his minions have skillfully used mass psychosis induction, not a cult following technique. However, the two forms of mind control may be indistinguishable.

I know what you mean about Osho or Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh. One source I read said he chose to emphasize celebration of life as a spiritual path, but that somehow degenerated into 'have lots of sex, do lots of drugs.' I was staying at Ananda Intentional Community when quite a few of Osho's former devotees passed through. A number of the couples, which made up the majority of those who popped in, said they weren't welcome any more b/c pairing was frowned upon as interfering w/ sex. Especially babies were a big problem.
I think this mixed bag of tricks thing is what Alex is in part referring to when he talks about "the sage on the stage." In Sex, Sin, & Zen, Brad Warner says that a Zen master at a Zen Center raped a person staying there & later died of cirrhosis of the liver. So, like most human beings, it's a mistake thinking the person doesn't have a dark side.

I liked the bit about life being a state of hypnosis, that we really only hypnotize ourselves, maybe w/ somebody's help at the beginning.
This part threw me off, and I think it was the Tim's attitude I didn't like.
Isn't this just like saying to your out of shape friend "You just gotta force yourself.."?
My counterargument (in my head) is that I bet it's more realistic that people just live in various head-spaces which more conducive or less conducive to being hypnotized.
I recently caught/noticed my therapist doing (probably unintentionally) some ASMR-type mildly hypnotic speaking to me. I believe it was in response me explaining my hypervigilant suspicion/avoidance of the Pharma-Sponsored MSM pandemic narrative. And while having noticed it, I was still able to benefit from the positivity coaching, but there was this highly distinct line I couldn't cross which felt almost exactly like when you're driving-while-sleepy and almost nod off. .. The experience threw-off my trust for a day or so, but ultimately I realized she only has wonderfully good intentions and was probably just leaning into the positivity with ASMR as a best available tool, rather than trying to backdoor some programming.
I grew up in, and grew out of a certain religion which often gets accused of being a cult, which for me created what I think is a special ability. Being able to entertain any conception of reality, while not needing any one to be correct.

All that said, I still have no idea whether I'd be easy, or impossible to hypnotize.

This part threw me off, and I think it was the Tim's attitude I didn't like.
Isn't this just like saying to your out of shape friend "You just gotta force yourself.."?
My counterargument (in my head) is that I bet it's more realistic that people just live in various head-spaces which more conducive or less conducive to being hypnotized.
I recently caught/noticed my therapist doing (probably unintentionally) some ASMR-type mildly hypnotic speaking to me. I believe it was in response me explaining my hypervigilant suspicion/avoidance of the Pharma-Sponsored MSM pandemic narrative. And while having noticed it, I was still able to benefit from the positivity coaching, but there was this highly distinct line I couldn't cross which felt almost exactly like when you're driving-while-sleepy and almost nod off. .. The experience threw-off my trust for a day or so, but ultimately I realized she only has wonderfully good intentions and was probably just leaning into the positivity with ASMR as a best available tool, rather than trying to backdoor some programming.
I grew up in, and grew out of a certain religion which often gets accused of being a cult, which for me created what I think is a special ability. Being able to entertain any conception of reality, while not needing any one to be correct.

All that said, I still have no idea whether I'd be easy, or impossible to hypnotize.
I'm sure if someone finds it very difficult to relax their muscles & regulate their breathing, they would be difficult to hypnotize. There's a Skeptiko interview which you may have seen where the guy tells about a Tibetan dream work master saying in his broken English, "This...dreaming!" Reality as a hypnotic state is especially clarified by NDErs generally saying that their experiences were starkly realer than their common daily, common perceptions: brighter, clearer sounds, intense concentration, etc.

Is this the guy that told everybody to stop thinking? I haven't listened to this episode yet, but I thought his last one was full of shit. Is he selling another book? Why else would he appear on Skeptiko? Also, for all you "I am just doing this for fun, I am a good guy, I care about people as I do this on my own time!" - FAKE ASS LIAR PEOPLE!

Oh Shit! This was the "stop thinking" guy! I knew it! What amazes me most about him, especially for being a guy that doesn't think, is he can conveniently place the word "Zen" wherever he begins to appear as stupid. Yoda, FLOAT YOUR BOAT OUT!

Maybe Napoleon Hill was selling OxiClean, but did it work? Also, who is the idiot that didn't think about his "name" before reading his entire book, and believing his ideas? His name rolls off the tongue like a 1990's pop song called "Beverly Hills."

If it's not risking bringing up many painful memories, I'd like to hear how you dealt w/ your cult entanglement. I'm more & more convinced that tRump & his minions have skillfully used mass psychosis induction, not a cult following technique. However, the two forms of mind control may be indistinguishable.
I've never been entangled in a cult.

re the other... indistinguishable IMO

Back