William Ramsey, Lawyering Christianity |497|

Alex

Administrator
.. it couldn’t be possible that God (aka infinite-love-consciousness)...
1. you could kinda stick just about anything after that's statement. I mean, sure if we're talking about "god" then anything is possible.
2. seems to me like it's not about whether it's possible, it's about whether there's enough there to build this huge edifice that is christianity. from a historical standpoint is there more there than hundreds of other religions that died out.

1. you could kinda stick just about anything after that's statement. I mean, sure if we're talking about "god" then anything is possible.
2. seems to me like it's not about whether it's possible, it's about whether there's enough there to build this huge edifice that is christianity. from a historical standpoint is there more there than hundreds of other religions that died out.
I don't intend to be arguing on behalf of the huge edifice that is Christianity.

If we say (very generously) that 1/2 of all religions are divinely influenced at some point in their origin. It seems inevitable that every single one gets Gloria Steinem'ed (usually quickly) and filled in with propaganda. I think this is a human inevitability and I account for it when picking the berries of truth out from the thorns of religion.

"Human had divine experience but went on to be a bad human." to me is not proof to falsify divine experience.

Not to mention, we've seen in our lifetimes that if we give up on Religion, Science will gladly fill the vacuum with more religion and at equal scale.

Alex

Administrator
It seems inevitable that every single one gets Gloria Steinem'ed (usually quickly) and filled in with propaganda. I think this is a human inevitability and I account for it when picking the berries of truth out from the thorns of religion.
agreed. and I think I'm sometimes guilty of overstating the spiritual disintermediation stuff. I mean, one of the"berries" might be "where two or three gather together in My name, there am I with them."

It has occurred to me that what some religions (maybe nearly all in fact) do is mistake the map for the terrain. What I mean is, why should spirituality be dependent on any historical events, historical figures or even mythological ones? For the most part if not the whole part these are just stories intended to point to something other than the literal narrative, figure, icon or symbol.

What does it do? Seems a better question to ask than what is it about or what happened? One is the terrain and one is simply a map, a picture and not the actual place.

For some religions all you could answer for the question Is that perhaps that it earns a place in heaven? Sometimes with virgins and lots of other cool stuff or maybe you just go to sleep and get resurrected dawn of the dead style.

All well and good but what about about life? Most religions offer to forge a better person? That's great! Well being? also great. Companionship? Cool. Comfort? Ok, still cool. So some good stuff.

Except that is not always the case unfortunately. Maybe a religious serial killer is still a serial killer and maybe a kind soul was already a kind soul. Is it effective at what it does? I don't know. Not much I think.

Still, Do you really need religion to learn compassion, the golden rule or blessed all the big noses?

What can it do? How does it do it? These questions seem more relevant than did some guy exist? Or whether some event was historically accurate. Maybe there is some history to it, but who gives a shit? There is only the now, so what good can it do you?

We are story tellers though, always have been. Our stories sometimes have implicit meaning, sometimes double meanings, sometimes hidden meanings. Along with some other stuff that is mostly things you don't want to have as stories, stuff that may end up circulated on Facebook, Twitter or even news headlines for that matter.

Taking it literally and depending on it for validity seems more like Idol worship to me, isn't there a thing about that?
So not surprising if it leaves you empty. The joke is that everything that religion is supposed to help you find is closer to you than anything else ever could be. That is why it is so hard to find.

But hey! Cheer up religion because modern physics also mistakes the map for the terrain, except in that case it is fields, virtual particles, wave functions, magnetic lines and any other mathematical abstraction that is mistaken for being the reality it describes. So they do have that in common.

Last edited:
It has occurred to me that what some religions (maybe nearly all in fact) do is mistake the map for the terrain. What I mean is, why should spirituality be dependent on any historical events, historical figures or even mythological ones? For the most part if not the whole part these are just stories intended to point to something other than the literal narrative, figure, icon or symbol.

What does it do? Seems a better question to ask than what is it about or what happened? One is the terrain and one is simply a map, a picture and not the actual place.

For some religions all you could answer for the question Is that perhaps that it earns a place in heaven? Sometimes with virgins and lots of other cool stuff or maybe you just go to sleep and get resurrected dawn of the dead style.

All well and good but what about about life? Most religions offer to forge a better person? That's great! Well being? also great. Companionship? Cool. Comfort? Ok, still cool. So some good stuff.

Except that is not always the case unfortunately. Maybe a religious serial killer is still a serial killer and maybe a kind, gentle loving soul was already a kind, gentle loving soul. Is it effective at what it does? I don't know. Not much I think.

Still, Do you really need religion to learn compassion, the golden rule or blessed all the big noses?

What can it do? How does it do it? These questions seem more relevant than did some guy exist? Or whether some event was historical accurate. Maybe there is some history to it, but who gives a shit? There is only the now, so what good can it do you?

We are story tellers though, always have been. Our stories sometimes have implicit meaning, sometimes double meanings, sometimes hidden meanings. Along with some other stuff that is mostly things you don't want to have as stories, stuff that may end up circulated on Facebook, Twitter or even news headlines for that matter.

Taking it literally and depending on it for validity seems more like Idol worship to me, isn't there a thing about that?
So not surprising if it leaves you empty. The joke is that everything that religion is supposed to help you find is closer to you than anything else ever could be. That is why it is so hard to find.

But hey! Cheer up religion because modern physics also mistakes the map for the terrain, except in that case it is fields, virtual particles, wave functions, magnetic lines and any other mathematical abstraction that is mistaken for being the reality it describes. So they do have that in common.

Alex

Administrator
It has occurred to me that what some religions (maybe nearly all in fact) do is mistake the map for the terrain. What I mean is, why should spirituality be dependent on any historical events, historical figures or even mythological ones?
great point. it should be so obvious, but it obviously isn't it :) it's like really bad conditioning.

haha... maybe because it's just a different flavor of the same psyop

Maybe i'm talking rubbish as have only just thought about it. People often say that as Christians they don't believe in reincarnation because it says it in the bible or something. Have often thought that during the time when i would read bible quite a bit that i didn't really remember anything to that effect. A lot of things that i was wrong about turned out to be in the bible as a lot of things at times that i didn't understand in the writings, i later on feel i saw what it meant. Also i cant think what it is but i know there are at least a couple points that am baffled about and probably dont think about enough. Am talking about the four gospels mainly. I just thought though that Jesus is suppossed to have got resurrected and was walking around 'in the flesh' if am remembering correctly.

Also when he cast out what is described as 'demons' 'they' are cast into a herd of pigs (organic animal beings).
Imo, on this planet at least, outside of organic beings (humans, animals, trees and plants) and their consciousness (truth-good and eternal, temporaral corrupted truth to different extents and extremes - bad, evil etc) there are no demons or any other kind of beings imo, but there are evil people.
Also animals do things like eating each others cubs etc for pissing rights or some shit, as kind of what animals do. On the human level that is obviously far far off anything and fucking evil and a cause to hunt it down unequivocally. Maybe that is why the 'devil' (another imo non-existent entity as as with 'demons') is referred to in the bible as the 'beast'. As in beast like actions in people being devil.

Maybe reicarnation is the wrong kind of word, 'taking the next step in one's life in the flesh upon death' maybe more accurate wording.
Obviously imo according to ones actions with God/natural law/universal law or whatever we want to call truth
Also i dont think evil people reincarnate or walk in the flesh, tree bark or anything back on this planet (without forgetting it is while they are here that they need dealing with for obvious very real safety reasons), at least not for a long anguishing time. Planet hells and the midway planet hells (which exist, if necessary, eternally imo), nothing like Earth.

goodnight

Last edited: